The Unmanned Aerial System Centre of Excellence was convened before the House of Commons as an expert to share its observations and provide recommandations to the Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities on the development of civil and commercial UAS in Canada.
Since its incorporation in 2011, the Unmanned Aerial System Centre of Excellence invested timeless efforts towards the development of a collaborative working relationship between the UAS CE and Transport Canada. Throughout the years, the UAS CE participated in numerous special and of the industry meetings to support the regulation development in Canada. Transport Canada recognizes the UAS Centre of Excellence as THE testing site in Quebec and encourages companies and organizations to contact us for more information.
Québec Aerospace Strategy
On May 30th 2016, the Quebec government launched with ceremony its Quebec Aerospace Strategy 2016-2026. The Quebec government intends to invest in the expertise by supporting the development of a regional ecosystem on civil UAVs. The Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation (MESI) will invest $1 million in this sector over the next five years.
With the UAS Centre of Excellence in Alma, the government disposes of the only site dedicated to civil and commercial drones in eastern Canada. To take advantage of this asset, the Quebec government will work with the UAS CE in Alma and Transport Canada to develop a test center for the prequalification of UAVs, whose mission will include the following :
- contribute to the development of the industry regulations and to the introduction of new quality standards;
- enable the industry to validate, in operational situations, equipments and research results. To this end, the center will build representativ infrastructures. The investment required to create a UAV prequalification centre is estimated at $ 2.5 millions. The Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation will fund a third of this investment, which represents a contribution of $ 800,000.
For more information, consult the online site of the Strategy (French only).
Collaboration between the Unmanned Aerial System Centre of Excellence and Export Québec
Export Québec, a division of the Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation (MESI), offers many services to Quebec businesses in order to help them reduce delais, costs and risks related to exportation. Thanks to its specialists in international affairs and its foreign experts network, Export Québec supports Quebec exporters wishing to:
- consolidate their presence outside of Quebec;
- diversify their clientele beyond their actual markets;
- build a competitive international business network.
The UAS CE established a business partnership with Export Québec, particular helping in developing the drone industry from a provincial perspective. Export Québec initiated, among other things, the project of a commercial economical mission for the AUVSI symposium in New Orleans in 2016. A delegation of 8 companies from Quebec thus participated to the mission, the first solely dedidated to the drones developement.